Wednesday, August 18, 2010

They'll Send Us to Rehab

            “Sisterfriend, I found this place that does free energy healings every Thursday.  You want to go?” I called Yoga Girl as soon I found the Clairvoyant Center of Chicago.
            “Oh, absolutely. Sounds like an adventure, Sisterfriend.”
            “I was thinking dinner after work and then find our way to the Center for a healing.”
            “Hey, maybe we could swing by the Chakra Shoppe to see Blanche. I’m thinking I need some more crystals.”
            I absolutely love Yoga Girl’s unquestioning willingness to set off on an unexpected adventure, as well as her ability to up the thrill quotient with her own contribution. 
            We’d been going to the Chakra Shoppe for quite some time, and have found it is the Target for the New Age, with a wide selections of crystals, incense, books, herbal teas, chakra sprays and lotions, music CDs, and candles, all organized into departments by chakra, as if they are as ubiquitous as housewares and sporting goods. Like Target, we always manage to find stuff we didn’t know we needed, and it’s hard to get in and out of there for less than one-hundred dollars.
            The place is run by a woman named Blanche Black who, with a name like that, was destined to specialize in chakra balancing and healing merchandising.  Wearing flowing lavender gowns, she appears to be in her fifties, but Yoga Girl and I actually suspect she’s 253 years old, born amongst the Redwoods or something, preserved only by the chakra spray that she mists into her aura every day.
            We looked at the merchandise, trying on hematite rings and tigers eye neck charms, picking up rose quartz figurines.
            “Looks like that crystal wants you,” Blanche said with a shoulder shrug, a no-pressure sales technique the moment we drop something.  “Looks like it picked you; it jumped.”
            Sold. No questioning the karmic ways of the universe.
            Having searched through all the chakra departments finding everything that is going to throw itself at us, we made our purchase.
            “Would you like me to clean and charge your crystals for you?”  Blanche packaged our assortments.
            “How much does that cost?” I ask, knowing it’s like AppleCare for your iPhone; no matter the cost, I’ll pay for it.
            “No charge.  It’s just that a lot of people have touched your stones, and they’ve absorbed their karmic fingerprints.”
            “Oh, yes, please.  Could you clear all that energy that is not ours?”
            “Not a problem.”
            Yoga Girl and I watch, fascinated.  She spritzed a neutral chakra spray onto the stones and then rubbed them with a polishing cloth.  Blanche holds the crystal up to the light, then blows on them.
            “Whooo-ooo!”
            Yoga Girl and I jump up and down, excited, like kids in a candy store watching someone make magic fudge.
            Fully aware we probably just dropped a night of dancing and drinks for a bag of fancy gravel on chains, we climb into the car completely convinced our new found energy channels will heal broken hearts and bring eternal love into our lives.
            “She probably thinks we’re crazy, falling for her tricks,” I said to Yoga Girl.
            “If anyone ever found out how much we drop in the crystal shop, they’d make us go to rehab with the Paralegal for our crystal addiction.”

* * *

            Just off the beaten path of downtown Evanston is an old commercial space on the ground floor of an apartment building.  It probably had a vibrant history when neighborhood retail was king, but now it’s the headquarters for the Clairvoyant Center of Chicago.  Unlike the Chakra Shoppe, it’s a wide-open space, the only merchandise, energy.  A rose theme embraces the room, with silk roses and pictures of roses scattered around.  A few chairs are randomly placed in the center of the room.
            Yoga Girl and I sit down.  A young lady sitting in a chair in the middle of the room has tears streaming down her face and snot resting on her upper lip.  She looks as if she’s had some sort of an emotional breakdown, but sits there motionless, her hands calmly in her lap.  Another woman walks around the weeping lady waving her hands as if she’s lightly brushing her, only she’s standing a few feet away.
            I shot a look at Yoga Girl.
            She nodded, knowing exactly what I was thinking: It’s good we had three glasses of wine with dinner.
            “Okay, how was that?” the standing woman asks.
            “That was really, really great.  Thank you.” The lady wiped the tears from her face and got up to get a tissue to blow her nose.
            I turned to Yoga Girl, “It can’t be any worse than anything the Catholic Church would do to us.”

* * *

            “Would you like an energy healing?” The woman who just waved at the weeping lady turned to me and asked.
            “I’d love one,” I said.  Yoga Girl laughed, watching to see what’s going to happen next.
            “Alright then.” The Energy Healer holds her palms out, Christ-like and begins to walk around me.
            “Do I need to do anything?”
            “Nope. Just breathe.”
            “Should I think of anything.”
            “No. Nothing in particular.  If anything comes to mind, just observe.”
            She started waving her hands up and down.
            “What’s happening?  What are you doing?”
            “I’m just combing through your aura with nice light gold energy.  Light gold in neutral.  You ground nicely.”
            “I do?”
            “Yes.  Very easy.”  She continues to circle around me waving through the air.  I could feel a slight tickle on my skin wherever she waved her hands, but it could have been the wine.
            She squat down and placed her hands around my feet.
            “Okay, I’m just opening your feet chakras now.  This will help you receive the energy of the Earth.”
            “Will it help with the plantar warts on the bottom of my feet?”
            The Energy Healer giggled.
            “You’ve got a very playful energy.”
            She moved her hands along my legs.  I could feel a chugging tingling through my leg, that opened up to a full tingling.
            “Okay, your leg channels are a little clogged, but they are clearing nicely.”
            “Is that so the energy of the Earth can come up into my chakras?”
            “Exactly.”
            She moved to my back channels, and as she moved energy through my back, I sat up straighter, and the tension in my back began to clear.
            “You’ve got a lot of emotions in your back.  It’s like you’re wearing a backpack of emotions.”
            “Could you just clear those out for me?”
            “I’m doing that.  These are all emotions that belong to other people.  You have a lot of people who depend on your for support, and their emotions have taken over that space.”
            “Well we don’t need that, do we?”
            “Exactly.”
            The Energy Healer squat next to me, holding one hand in front of me and the other to my back. She started at my tailbone and moved up.  She got to my throat and I got a little weepy.
            “Your throat chakra is really clogged.  I’m just going to clear that out with a light gold energy.”
            I couldn’t speak as sadness filled me.
            The Energy Healer moved to my head, the sixth chakra and the third eye.  My sinuses opened up and began to drain down my throat as the sadness began to clear.
            “Your sixth chakra is also a little clogged, but it’s all clearing out very nicely.”
            A sense of calm and ease came over me.  It was as if I had waken up after a good night’s rest and the bags of exhaustion under my eyes had been lifted.
            “Okay,” the Energy Healer said.  “How was that?”
            “It was good,” I said, a bit at a loss for words.
            “Would you like an aura reading?”
            “Of course,” I said without hesitation.  “What do I need to do?”
            “Just sit there.”  The Energy Healer sat in the chair across from me, closing her eyes.
            “Okay, I’m just saying hello to your aura, just getting to know it.  Just saying hello.”
            She fidgeted in her seat.
            “Okay, your outer aura is a very nice color.  It’s vibrating at a purple.  A very nice purple.”
            She continued to read all the layers of my aura, and the colors they were vibrating.  I had no idea what it meant, but it was fascinating.
            “Your energy. Your spirit, it’s very much wanting to expand and grow.  It’s a very upward and outward momentum.  I sense that you are on the cusp of transformation and expansion.  You’re on the edge of a tremendous growth period.”
            I looked to Yoga Girl.  She looked a little like a Vinyasa stuck somewhere between Downward Facing Dog and Chaturanga.  When we had both completed our healings, the Energy Healer suggested we be good to ourselves.
            “Eat chocolate.  Your body has done a lot of work.  It’s released a lot of energy, so reward it with chocolate.”
            We got in the car, our expansive energetic auras ready to do something.
            “She didn’t say we couldn’t drink,” I said. “So how about a chocolate martini?”
            “You’re reading my aura, Sisterfriend!”

No comments:

Post a Comment